Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Frustration about Education

Many will read this title and think I am going to be discussing the current state of education or the proposed cuts in funding, but in all honesty I want to talk about my frustration with MY education. As you all know I am currently teaching Radio Broadcasting and Sports Broadcasting at the high school level and loving almost every minute of it. Let's be honest, every job has it's negative areas, none of them are perfect. As this whole wedding approaches, as well as the total different angle of having kids and starting a family bigger than just me and Caty, I get really frustrated with myself for being the slacker that I was all through college.

I was blessed with parents that took the steps early to make sure my college was paid for when I started. I attended UNT and studied in Radio Television and Film, graduated in 5 years, and drank more than any human ever should. Recently, I started taking a financial peace course and it was a blatant slap in the face how much money I could have saved in college when I was bartending, if I just hadn't blown it all on Jager and Miller Lite. Things have DRASTICALLY changed in my life the last few years and that part of me is almost nonexistent now, but it still is seeming to come back and bite me in the ass. I look back on the opportunity I had to really get into the classes and set myself up for something big in the future and I wasted most of it on partying, sports and skipping class. There have been numerous times I have thought to myself, "Man... how the hell did you graduate?"

Which brings me to where I am today, sitting in my office at the house or at school (depends on when I finish typing this post) looking at different Graduate Programs, missing the classes that I took seriously in college and wanting to have someone assign me an assignment that I may enjoy doing. I enjoy my job, the kids I work with on a daily basis are amazing, but I can't sit here and tell you that I don't miss the days when my least favorite professor in college would tell me I couldn't pass an essay over "Natural Born Killers" because I wasn't dedicated to school. That guy, even though I seriously despise him to this day, challenged me to a point that I dissected a movie shot by shot and wrote about 30 pages on the different types of shooting and lighting techniques present in that film and how they effected the way the film was interpretted.

And also TCU has what appears to be a sweet Sports Broadcasting Bachelors that I wish was around when I graduated.

So, thinking of going back to school... been thinking for three years now... Don't know how I will pay for it, don't want to run up student loans, so who knows...

Back to the Grind, Definitely a Knife Day.

JD

No comments:

Post a Comment