Wednesday, March 9, 2011

So real writing?

Can't figure out what day 20 of that challenge was, so I am renaming it the 19 day challenge and saying I am done! So I hope you enjoyed learning a little bit about me.

I am now going to try to focus on writing entries that are a little bigger glimpse into who I am and what I am all about. The current four followers already know about me and I am sure they aren't really all that interested in reading these things, but whatever. I want more followers! Ha.

So, this last weekend Caty and I joined my parents down in Granbury for a much needed one day escape from Mansfield and everything that it brings with it. We enjoyed fishing, food, deep sleeps, silence and even a bit of wandering around the square. We came across a 'off brand' half price books (not sure the name of the actual store but it was very half pricey). We went into the store of course and started looking around for anything that may peak interest. The Lakehouse my parents own isn't your usual party house, its very much the opposite and it is perfect to really get a good book and forget what you are doing. Anyways, I was looking through my usual section... Sports... and not seeing anything worth opening so I gave up and went up to talk to my dad while he looked through Best Sellers.

Before I go any further I need to tell everyone about a person I highly respect who I never had the opportunity to meet. This is one of the most if not THE MOST successful college basketball coaches of all time. Coach John Wooden is known for winning championship after championship but he is also known for the person he was off the court. His entire belief system, religious background, daily teachings, and his true passionate love for life and his wife have all been written in books and filmed for ESPN and other TV outlets. When he passed in the summer of 2010, I set out to own every book written by him or about him. He is an amazing man. I thought I had nearly accomplished that feat up until my trip to Granbury.


Back to the Half Price Bookish store, my dad was looking through the best sellers doing his usual thing of explaining to me why I need to read "Murder and Rape and Shoot em up" fiction books when I saw a very familar face on the cover of a thin red book. It was Coach. I immediately grabbed the book and looked for a price tag. Couldn't find it, but I said SCREW IT... I have tons of BLOW money left this month (explanation of BLOW money coming later, some Dave Ramsey fans know what I am talking about) I am buying it even if it is $50. So I bought it, not knowing for sure what the heck it was about, or if it was even something I would read. I wanted it on my Wooden shelf in my classroom. Once we got back to the car, I realized it was actually an awesome book that I will be reading everyday for the next 60 days. It has 60 entries about 60 one on on conversations that this writer had with Coach ranging from how a 93 year old never stops learning to the backbone of John Wooden's spiritual beliefs. Every entry features real talk from the Coach as well as the writer of the book who relates all conversation to scripture.

Now for those that do know me, you all know I have been looking for a way to 'motivated' to get back into my bible on a daily basis. What better way to get back into the Word than to read the real words of a man, who had been in the public eye for longer than I have been alive, whom I respect more than most men on the planet today. So I started yesterday, and yesterday was all about how are you spending your time each day? 86,400 seconds in a day and any wasted time is time lost. The part that stuck out to me was when Coach said "Have you ever said, I will just work twice as hard tomorrow to make up for my work today. If you can work TWICE as hard tomorrow, then you should work twice as hard every day."

That simple message right there hit me on so many different surfaces both in my everyday work and home life as well as my spiritual life. I know there are days at work and around the house that I say... I will do it tomorrow. And then don't do it for 4 weeks or 4 months (points to the friggin fan in my office still not installed). I know I have said it time to get my big butt in the gym on a regular schedule and do something about the health problems that run in my family and that are currently ailing me (nothing serious, minor dings from baseball and being out of shape). I know there are days I say, yeah I will prepare for that youth group thing at my house tomorrow and then realize that the Youth group thing is tonight!

And I know that I need to work on these things. I also know that it won't all fix itself tomorrow. So that's where you... my four followers come into play in this. I want you to remind me nicely to re-read this post ever so often. I also want you to remind me if I haven't written in awhile because this has been actually somewhat enjoyable of an entry. So, there.... Justin's longest blog of all time is complete. John Wooden, I thank you again, even though I never met you, I thank you for leaving a legacy that I can follow through books.

How will you spend your 86400 seconds today?

Definitely a Fire Day,

Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment